Saturday, June 11, 2016

LJ FB: SDSU 7-on-7 passing tourney

By Ed Piper

La Jolla High's football team underwent its first competitive play against other schools under new head coach Matt Morrison Sat., June 11, at SDSU. It was the annual 7-on-7 passing tournament there, which draws lots of teams with their family members.

Touchdowns were scored by rising seniors Tanner Watson, Nick Hammel, and Andrew Mitchell.

The Vikings dropped all three of their matchups on the first day of the tourney, which continues Sunday, but Mitchell saw a strategy in the coaches' substitutions.

Via Facebook, he said, "It went alright, we lost all our games, but we did well."
 
The returning senior observed, "The way I look at how the coaches were subbing was not to win at all costs but try to win by getting everyone to play and to see how we played."

Asked how he felt on the first day of play and how he did after having so many new passing plays introduced in the last two weeks--the first two weeks of spring practice under Coach Morrison--Mitchell said, "It felt good, it worked well. I was certainly more physical with press, and I thought I did pretty well. Same with all the other experienced players like 'Doc' (Alex Dockery), (Daniel) McColl, etc."

Did he notice growth in his play from last season, which ended seven months ago? "100% difference. I am in way better shape, with twice the energy."


Fellow rising senior Dane Hansen, who just finished baseball season last month, said he'll be out there for day two at SDSU Sunday. He had to take the ACT college test Saturday, so he was absent from the gridiron.

Mitchell is coming off track season, when he put the shot and threw the discuss for the Viking track team.

Hansen, talking about the first day of play, though he had to miss it, said via Facebook, "Yeah, exactly, win or lose you can still improve, but I heard we played well and held our own against tough teams. My goal tomorrow is to keep receivers in front of me and keep them to short yard gains."

Asked to assess his strengths at this point, Hansen commented, "As a guard (on offense), I feel like I'm good at keeping the D-line in front of me and staying low. And at linebacker, I feel like I just know the defense well enough that I don't have to learn as much as just improve on what I already know, like tackling and reading the offense."

Mitchell, simultaneously being interviewed via Facebook, said on day two at SDSU he will concentrate on "get-offs". Asked to explain what that means, he said, "Getting off the ball at snap."

He added: "I had a little trouble trying to shake the DB's (defensive backs) off of me, as well."

The first game Sunday at SDSU is scheduled at 7:30 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment