Saturday, June 11, 2016

LJ FB: The gift

Matt Morrison (wearing cap), in his second day ever
coaching the Viking football program, instructs
his charges between reps Wed., June 1, on
the Muirlands field. (Photo by Ed Piper)
 

By Ed Piper

I didn't even realize he was giving it to me, but Matt Morrison, the new head football coach at La Jolla High, gave me quite a gift the past two weeks.

He being a teacher--and my being a recently-retired teacher, who returned to the classroom to substitute-teach--I came to figure out what I was getting.

His 4:30 p.m. daily starting time for spring practice necessitated by the fact he teaches in his elementary classroom in Ocean Beach all day, I have been able to attend eight of the nine weekday practice sessions these two weeks.

I have been welcomed by Coach Morrison and some of his assistants, as well as greeted by some of the players who recognize me. I have been able to roam about practice, under coaches hiking balls to the four quarterbacks during passing drills, next to players practicing blocking schemes, sitting by early arrivals putting on their shoes before drills. All with one of my trusty cameras strapped around my neck and clicking photos.

Now, without the camera, someone might ask: Ed, what are you doing out here in the middle of drills? But with the camera, I have the perfect--at least, I think it is--foil for wending my way into the midst of the "offensive indies" (independent drills), or "defensive indies", or whatever else might be going on at a particular point in Morrison's scheduled hour-and-a-half daily workouts.

And to think that on the first day or so, I was grumbling to myself that drills started so late.

Boy, was I wrong.

It has been a slice of heaven. I told one of the assistants on the second day of workouts that it was the first spring football I had ever attended. And he caught my glee, saying, "How are you liking it?" I said, "I am really enjoying it." In fact, I told him, "This is the first spring practice I have ever attended in my 62 years of life." I think he got a bang out of that.

On the following day, during the first week of spring drills, I commented to the same coach, a new assistant handling defensive backs, "You bring a lot of energy. The kids soak it up." He replied modestly, "I get a lot more out of it than they do." Just a positive thing to say, indicative of the enjoyment he brings to the field--while we both know he's expending a lot of effort out there. He's not just going through the motions.

Having never been allowed to play football by a mother who was concerned that my older brother and I would wind up with injuries like her brother did in ice hockey when they were kids, I have been enjoying observing passing routes being introduced; offensive line blocking techniques demonstrated and carried out; and just the plain camaraderie that is present among a bunch of enthusiastic sophomores and juniors--soon to pass on to being juniors and seniors after the last day of school 10 days from now--who are doing something physical, receiving instruction from coaches who are already serving as role models, and getting something out of it.

Another bonus is going from hot San Diego, the rest of the area, to the Muirlands field, where skies have been overcast every day but one of the eight I have made the trek to the coast in the late afternoon.

Along with all the positive energy of the Viking football players as a whole, I have really admired the dedication of Tino Mendez, a lineman, who just stepped into team drills for the first time Fri., June 10, after working with the team trainer all the previous days of spring practice in rehabbing his knee. He's coming back from ACL surgery.

Tino hasn't missed a day I've attended. He was early one day last week, having come all the way back to school from southern San Diego, and when I asked him his name, he didn't indicate in any way that he wasn't going to be out there with the rest of the squad in team drills. He didn't whine about his knee or feel sorry for himself. Just a friendly, positive attitude.

That is one of the fringe benefits from the gift Coach Morrison has given me--a late afternoon start to spring drills, enabling me to attend, click shots, and take notes on days I have available.

I wish Coach, his entire staff, and the boys all the best as they build the new program from square one. It's going to be a growing year.

No comments:

Post a Comment