Monday, July 13, 2015

LJ b BB: Younger players

Charlie Gal (22) hits the floor and scrambles for
a loose ball against Mesa (Murrieta) Sat.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


"I'm trying for varsity," Charlie Gal, a big sophomore, said when he helped me carry my photo equipment down the steps in the Point Loma Nazarene gym. He wasn't acceding to my statement that he was headed for certain to the junior varsity basketball team next season.

"That's what Coach wants to see--you fighting for it," I told him as I thanked him for relieving me of my rolling camera case while I await surgery for a hernia.

Gal and the other younger players--Charlie is a sophomore--play in JV leagues during the week, then join the varsity for weekend tournaments like the PLNU Team Camp. These players have contributed significantly over the past month.

Gal has rebounded and pounded the offensive boards. He's proficient at taking the ball to the basket from the box. Quinn Rawdin, a lefty guard, showed a good touch from outside over the weekend at Point Loma. He is adjusting to "playing with the big boys", which is normal. His time will come.

Jacob Ohara played early in the summer. McClain Thiel made his appearance with the combined varsity team at PLNU. He's a future star, as well. There are a lot of young guys coming up, who have a good work ethic, a good attitude, and who play for the team. We'll be hearing more from these sophomores in the future.


Copyright 2015 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment