Monday, July 13, 2015

Dog days of summer

There was a short period right after the Viking baseball team finished its season in early June when there were no local sports at all.

It was dry.

I looked in the local paper, and there was nothing but national news about pro sports. Nothing about local high school athletes.

Depressing.

This went on for a week or so, until the LJHS basketball team relieved us all of sports withdrawal with summer league basketball.

I remember my disappointment during the dry period, after a mass infusion of high school sports--taking photos and writing stories--to feed my addiction continuously from late August 2014 through the entire school year.

Maybe it was time I got off the bus to cool out for a while.

There aren't many sources for local high school sports, so when I see information, I eagerly drink it up. There's the local paper. And my (periodic) blog. I don't watch much TV, so I miss the KUSI reports, though I talk to the cameramen when they come to events.

The summer, outside of summer league basketball, can run plenty dry. I found out in the last two years that weekend football leagues sometimes charge admission and don't honor media passes. I'm out of there. The same is true of some basketball summer leagues, but there are enough events that honor the media pass that I can still get my fix of events and take plenty of photos of Viking basketball players.


Copyright 2015 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment