Sunday, February 22, 2015

LJ BB: Banquet II

Other things learned or observed at the La Jolla boys basketball banquet:

Gaynor Blackmon wears glasses. (I had never seen him in glasses before.)

I interviewed Owen Porter for a story a month ago. I failed to uncover the truth that he hates to do running in practice.

I was impressed at the team members' comfort and ability at speaking up front at the banquet. I was recounting to my wife Dianna on the way home after the banquet how team banquets were adult-driven back in my day. Only the coaches got to speak. Too bad.

This approach gives the guys further experience and poise in addressing crowds. We called it "public speaking" back in the day.

In what is not an uncommon practice at such events I've attended, a player will talk about a teammate--anecdotes, strengths, good points, etc.

Coach Paul Baranowski is extremely organized and structured when it comes to giving talks about his players at end-of-year banquets. One of our coaches in high school (Camarillo), I remember, gave every detail of every game, occupying the dais for an hour and a half to two hours. And he wasn't the varsity coach! He was coach of only one of multiple teams that were being recognized that night. The varsity coach was incensed, because now, on a weeknight, the banquet was going to stretch on that much more.


Copyright 2015 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment