Friday, August 1, 2014

LJ Cheer: Hannah Wills

Senior Hannah Wills, new to
the LJHS Varsity Cheer
squad
 
 
"What I like about cheer is the drive everyone has," says Hannah Wills, starting her first year as a cheerleader at LJHS. "When I achieve something, I don't want to just stay at that level. I want to keep going, and I can see that in my teammates."
 
Some sports fans, and some people in general, would think that cheerleading is just a hobby that girls and the occasional male yell leader take part in. But as someone said recently, "Cheer can be one of the most competitive sports in the country."
 
Regarding plans beyond her senior year, the 17-year-old (just turned three weeks ago) says, "I plan on going to college (hopefully in California) and I want to go to medical school."
 
She says she enjoys math, which will definitely be required with tons of science in medical school. She is enrolled in AP Calculus for 2014-15.
 
The most important thing is her favorite flavor of ice cream: strawberry. (I ask most of interviewees this.)
 
Besides tumbling and doing flips, having done cheer since the third grade (though not at LJHS before), Hannah says, "I also go to Sunhouse at the La Jolla Presbyterian Church. We do fun activities Sunday nights, and we also do fun things different days of the week. I went to Mexico with them during spring break to build houses for families, and will be doing that next spring break, as well. I really like helping others."

Asked for an opinion on something, Wills replied, "I think our school spirit isn't as high as it can be, but this year I feel like it'll be different. We are going to try to get everyone to come to the games and to support all athletes."
 
Words that warm a teacher's heart (I'm one): "When it comes to school, I put all my effort into my work."

 
Copyright 2014 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment