Tuesday, July 22, 2014

LJ Cheer: Advisor Ashley Monzon says goodbye

LJHS Cheer advisor Ashley Monzon (gray sweatshirt)
clowns with her Varsity cheerleaders late in the Vikings'
63-21 drubbing of Mater Dei in the CIF Football
Division III Quarterfinals Nov. 22, 2013.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


Ashley Monzon, LJHS Cheer advisor for the past five years, informed me July 20 that she is no longer going to serve in that capacity.

"Ashley, I didn't hear back from you. Are you still here?" I emailed her.

"No, I'm not," she responded. She suggested I contact the vice principal for more information.

Ashley came in five years ago and righted a ship that was keeling over. I know, because my granddaughter was a varsity cheerleader at La Jolla High from 2004-2008. In that time, there were multiple changes of advisors. One advisor stayed one month, and left abruptly.

Ashley immediately instituted some order and began instilling some leadership in the girls. Her success led the 2013-14 edition of the varsity cheer squad to do a great job, representing the school in a befitting way.

As I told Ashley by email, congratulations, Ashley. You did an outstanding job. You will be missed.


Copyright 2014 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment