Saturday, February 6, 2021

Griffen: 'I'm fired up'

Johnny Griffen (wearing "LJ" letterman's jacket
in center) with family members.
(Photos by Ed Piper)

By Ed Piper

Johnny Griffen, an offensive lineman for the CIF Division 4-winning La Jolla High football team in 2019, celebrated college letter of intent signing day with a gathering of family and teammates Wed., Feb. 3, held at La Jolla Shores beach.

"They (Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon) have a really great program," said the Viking senior, whose high school team has not been able to get on the field for games this season due to coronavirus restrictions. He plans to pursue physical therapy in his college studies at the small private liberal arts school.

PU is located in northwest Oregon, 25 miles west of Portland. The town of Forest Grove is a short jaunt from the Washington state border. Pacific University was founded in 1849. Their mascot is the Boxers.

Pacific is an NCAA Division III school, playing in the Northwest Conference.

Stated Griffen, "I'm fired up, not even for myself, but for my brothers (LJHS teammates)," as he looked out on a group of about 40 people that included his father and brother on the lawn near the main lifeguard station.

"The support I have is unimaginable," the senior said, "from the team moms and everyone else."

"I just want to thank my coach, Coach Clay (Eubank), who molded me into the player I am, and my coach this year, Coach 'Juice' (Scott Hughley)."

Teammates line up for a photo with the three February signees, Johnny Griffen,
Devin Bale (crouching, front left), and Isaac Ramirez (front center).





No comments:

Post a Comment