Monday, July 20, 2020

New CIF schedule: Chewing further

By Ed Piper

I've been in a long hibernation from writing, if you haven't noticed. I really wasn't attracted to the idea of hashing over and over this new event, that new disappointment leading to postponement, then cancellation of spring sports for La Jolla High and every other high school in the state.

But for the moment, I'm popping my head up to look at the new, tentative (the operative word during the coronavirus) calendar for sports in school year 2020-2021 by CIF. (See previous entry.)

Eyeing CIF Southern Section's calendar, put out today, I see that football will be able to open official practice Dec. 14 and play its first games Jan. 8, 2021. (That's if COVID allows it.)

So, here in Vikingland, Coach Tyler Roach could be looking at a "summer" program in the fall, with opportunities for new freshmen coming in, as well as upperclassmen returners, to lift weights and bulk up as only gridiron athletes do. One coach quoted in media remarked on the advantage this could be for newcoming players. Why not draw out the positives from a tough situation?

Imagine Homecoming, normally during October, in February. Wow. This could turn out to be a really unique year, one that team members--and their classmates--will remember vividly forever.

Max Smith and cohort, featured in the state Division 3 final last season, have the chance to recoup the year and return with a vengeance after over 12 months off. Those are stories I would tell to my great grandchildren, one of which I may have pretty soon. (Alexis, a former cheerleader at LJHS, and her hubby may have family expansion in the coming year.)

I'm writing in a vacuum, because I haven't talked with any of the coaches or student athletes at La Jolla High since classes were postponed way back on March 13. It has been a long, grueling haul. My outlook on life is much better than it was back at the end of March, which was pretty discouraged.

My lifeline to local media was cut when my editor at the La Jolla Village News informed me at the end of the first week of no classes that my contributions would not be needed until further notice. I kind of swore off all writing, what with games cancelled and nothing to report except cancellations. Not my cup of tea.

I have enjoyed some of the articles in local media about athletes having to make do with the situation, but I haven't pursued any myself.

If--a big if--we can get any kind of sports in during this school year, we could have a lot of fun with sports overlapping, tons of games and matches being held. Comments were made in this morning's reports that athletes will be encouraged, even helped to participate in multiple sports at the same time.  I think of the Vikings' multi-sport athletes, like kicker/defender Devin Bale--he could catch a pass in between kicking field goals for Roach, then right after that go over to the Vikings' soccer team's game and play a match the next night.

Soccer in CIF Southern Section will be able to hold opening games Feb. 27, so if the San Diego Section adopts a similar schedule, the senior kicker could be in week 9 of the football season playing in a crunch-time game that helps determine the league title and playoff participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment