Thursday, May 18, 2017

Musings

By Ed Piper, Jr.

There are so many positive qualities of high school sports, which are the focus of this blog from an academic/athletic viewpoint. Having been away from the local scene for the past month, I have had the opportunity to step back, get some distance, and maybe get some perspective that I wouldn't have had otherwise.


I state there are many positives, because sometimes in the complicated world of prep sports today we can lose sight of some of the good: Students now have the choice--and pressure--in many sports to choose to either play for their high school team or a club team, or both.

With the "professionalization" of sports for young people--did you see the ridiculous news note about Lane Kiffen at Florida Atlantic offering a football scholarship to a middle school student?--there is much more pressure on our teens to train, perform, and produce, all in the name of a potential future college scholarship.

So, before I completely go off the rails on this athletic/academic divide, I want to affirm the good qualities of our young people, at La Jolla High and other local schools, and the sincere care and concern their families show for them.

When I am around the Viking student athletes, or subbing at a local high school, as I am at the moment (Westview), I am always astounded at the excellent way in which they present themselves, act courteously and with consideration for adults, display an attitude of commitment to hard work and not taking the easy way or the way of compromise toward their goals.

Mind you, I taught court school students for two decades, and while I loved them dearly and advocated strongly for their welfare and needs, I was also realistic about the gap in people skills they exhibited and their need to overcome long-ingrained bad habits--like only addressing me personally and politely, at times, when they needed something from me (like a letter of recommendation, or support in talking with a probation officer after a bad choice).

A coach said recently that the boy athletes this coach works with aren't receptive to input, whereas the girl athletes eat it up. Another disappointment I have that I mention to others is the few number of young people who express a desire to make the world a better place, rather than just take a business major in college to make money.

I have to say, in defense of the 60's, that at least in my neck of the woods in Southern California, my best friend in high school and I both were greatly influenced by the altruism of the age and sincerely wanted to work for the betterment of humankind--that's why I went into both journalism (to call out racism and other ills) and teaching (to help struggling kids in the juvenile court system).

Now, back to the present out of my "nostalgia" dip: I see family and influences so key in how well a student athlete these days handles their participation in sports. Parents who are on the same page together and who foster relationships with their kids that lead them to be well-rounded, healthy individuals--without being the "ugly parent" who rants at the coach about why their kid isn't playing more--make all the difference.

I think it's true in many cases that participation in sports can foster positive values, like a team attitude, a commitment to finish things one starts, and so forth. I don't think it's always the case.

"We believe that sports foster personal growth and other positive values," says the website of one school. That is often given as a justification for the huge expenditure of resources on school teams. Maybe. As you know if you read my blog, I am very pro-sports participation.

Where young people and families are getting off the track is in the at-all-costs, head-long push for personal coaching and club/travel team participation in the name of the almighty college scholarship offer.

As a speaker recently said, sports are a healthy outlet if done in the proper spirit. I think Lonzo Ball's dad is extreme. He's trying to make millions off his three kids. More power to him. You're free to shoot for that in our capitalistic economy. But I don't agree with some of his values.

Back to the altruism value, our young people would aim toward majors and careers in preparation for serving their fellow humankind, righting social wrongs, and addressing the ills of our society--if it were modeled and encouraged by us parents, teachers, and other role models. It's badly needed. Aiming to be "successful" by making a lot of money does not make a person significant, in this humble view.

No comments:

Post a Comment