Thursday, April 16, 2015

Padres' home opener (cont.')




First base line, standing at a counter. Early innings. A fan from San Francisco and I talk. I explain a pitching rotation. I read a piece recently in which it explains that Japanese pitchers only pitch once a week. American baseball is going to have to change, because in March alone many Major League pitchers had to undergo Tommy John surgery. Arm injuries for pitches are now an epidemic.

I eye a concessions stand that is off the main concourse, with only one person in line. I buy peanuts. I later get a free refill (comes with the souvenir cup this season) of Diet Coke.

I move to various standing locations on the main level, all with beautiful views of the game. Much closer than if I had stayed at the Park at the Park in left field! The beach (sand in center field) is blocked by new advertising placards on the outfield fence--did the Padres get rid of the beach? We used to go there.

I can't see the new, enormous scoreboard in left field (largest in the National League, third-largest in the majors) because I don't have a seat in the stadium. I can only see the bottom edge of it.

The Padres are locked in a pitchers' duel with the Giants. I stand, by this time, at a counter down the third base line. Later innings, feet extremely tired, I ask an usher if I can sit in a chair in a handicapped section. He says yes. Ah, relief.

The couple next to me is from Edmonton, Alberta. She is in a wheelchair, he in a regular chair on the other side of her. They stay in San Diego four months a year as "snowbirds", including the month of April so that they can go to Padres games.

What team did you root for growing up in Canada? We didn't have baseball.

The game goes into extra innings. She says they have to go home to feed the dogs. "They're used to eating at 5 p.m."

The Padres don't generate offense, here in front of a sold-out home opener crowd wanting to see the Padres' new acquisitions produce: Matt Kemp, Justin Upton, Wil Myers, Will Middlebrooks. The Padres fall in 12 innings, 1-0.

The scorebook I anticipated scoring the game in doesn't come out of the backpack. The LJHS grad in line outside had said, "Ooh, sharp pencils. Those are dangerous" (sticking out of my pocket). I had explained that they were for scoring the game. Didn't use those, either.

When we leave, I tell the woman from Edmonton, "The dogs are never going to forgive you." I'm kidding. She laughs.

8 p.m. Headed home. A long game because of extra innings, despite the new clock between innings to speed up the game. The speed-up seems to be working in the first week--10 minutes cut off games so far, an official says.

Trolley is packed. Have to wait for a second train. Many fans get off at Old Town. Lots more space the final two legs back to Fashion Valley.

Bringing home my first "Opening Day" pin. Bought it at a souvenir stand in the stadium. Nice follow-up to Spring Training, which I went to a month ago. Same teams, Padres and Giants, opposed each other then, too. The Padres lost tonight, but they've already shown in the first week in the opening series with the Dodgers that they're a better team than last year. Hope springs eternal.


Copyright 2015 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment