Sunday, March 8, 2015

ST redux

Rockies vendor at Salt River: I had never
seen a peanut earring before.
(Photo by Ed Piper)



More on Spring Training March 6-7:

Best dessert: "Founder's Favorite" at Coldstone behind left center field at Salt River Fields, Pima Reservation (north of Scottsdale on the 101 North Loop). A giant ball of pecan-crunchy ice cream, built around a brownie in the core, with caramel and chocolate sauce on top. This made my ninth inning Friday after a long day driving to Arizona (left at 5:30 a.m.; have to account for the one-hour time loss to Arizona--at least before the Daylight Saving change Sunday morning) one of the most enjoyable in recent memory. I added the waffle cone for an extra dollar. $8. No tax. I love this place!

It was so creamy, when I returned to the same ballpark the next day, I enjoyed another ninth inning afternoon delight. What a sugar high.

Other food and drink: The "Super Dog" ($7) at the Giants' Scottsdale Stadium was tasty, though the bun was unheated and untoasted blah. A burger basket at the Cubs' Sloan Park in Mesa the day before was good. I enjoy bringing home the plastic souvenir soda cups, so D-backs/Rockies at Salt River and Giants at Scottsdale were good for that. No souvenir cup at Sloan Park.

Timer: The new clock of 2:30 between innings for regionally televised games and 2:45 for nationally televised games, and the batter having to keep one foot in the batter's box between pitches to speed things up all seemed to be a non-issue at the four games I went to. I did see the clock run out on pitchers twice in the Rockies-Cubs game Saturday. But in Spring Training and the first month, Major League Baseball says there will only be warnings, no fines until May.


Copyright 2015 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment